Monday 29 September 2008

Spelman Sprinkles some magic


Caroline Spelman rules OK! well nearly. She said "no to more Heathrow" today. Thank god. I agree with her totally, a third runway there is not the answer. Heathrow sucks and blights the lives of millions in the south via noise pollution. The Heathrow lobby group that represents 250 companies and says a third runway is vital can take a running jump. The idea that the world will flee London because there is no third runway is just ridiculous. Our skys are crowded, Heathrow is a giant planning mistake and we should not compound the error, we should build elsewhere.

I also agreed completely with the high speed train network idea. I just hope the timescale is altered as it needs to be fully operational a lot sooner than 2027!

Finally I had to mark down her speech slightly as she tried to talk down Boris' idea of the Thames Estuary Airport. That idea is the great solution to our crowded and noisy sky problem. I think it can and will be built. However I do concede that the financial crisis is not the best time to be talking about spending billions. If you look at the graphic above you can see that it would be easy to link the Thames Estuary Airport into the new high speed railway!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not bad article, but I really miss that you didn't express your opinion, but ok you just have different approach

Anonymous said...

I am not going to be original this time, so all I am going to say that your blog rocks, sad that I don't have suck a writing skills